Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 4 of the 1976 World Series
(08-17-2019, 10:24 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And nearly everybody outside of Cincinnati thought the Reds had no chance against the mighty A's. Most thought the exact opposite would happen.

Games 1 and 2 of that series were weeknights at home.  I went on a camping trip Friday and Saturday (Bridge Day at the New River Gorge) where I had no access to any news.  I figured there was no way we would sweep 2 road games. That A's team was loaded and had won 105 games. But on the way out Sunday I stopped at the first gas station to buy a paper.  I was pissed that i had missed the clincher.

Same weekend my Tennessee Vols were undefeated and ranked #3 in the country.  They were playing one of their biggest rivals, but back then Alabama was at a low tide.  They came into that game just 2-3, but that same Sunday sports page had a big headline about the huge upset in Knoxville.  Tied 6-6 with less than a minute left Tennessee had a potential game winning FG blocked.  Alabama returned it deep into Tennessee territory and kicked the winner on the last play of the game.  I was glad I had missed that.  I probably would have broken something.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game 4 of the 1976 World Series - fredtoast - 08-18-2019, 04:50 PM