Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A trend carrying over from last year.....
From what my eyeballs have told me, the tackles have been doing OK on plays that they don't commit a penalty.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that the interior o-line does not look good.  Jerry and Miller look like backups on super bowl or deep playoff type of teams.  Jerry can pass protect at a good level, but doesn't seem to be effective as a run blocker so far.  Miller looks OK on most snaps but has some lapses.  Price has had some lapses at center, but looks more than capable of playing guard in a situation where he can just react and doesn't have to try to process a ton of information right before the snap. If they like Hopkins as a starter, now may be the time to try Price at guard.

All in all, I don't see a play-action oriented type of offense winning more than 7 games this year.  The 2018 Rams offense required a Whit type of dude at LT in order to work - a guy who was more than willing to run block and could pass protect at a high level.  Outside of Hart and Price, the starting unit hasn't shown great run blocking potential.  Jerry and Glenn can pass block if they are healthy.  The unit as a whole is suspect as far as timing and penalties are concerned.  This team may just rue the day that they let Frank Pollack walk out the door.  I'll reserve judgement and strong words until we have seen more of Turner, but we're off to a slow start so far.  3 people willing to walk away from millions of dollars in order to retire as soon as Turner walks in the building?  Again, I'm willing to reserve strong words and strong judgement, but it doesn't bode well.

Long story short - fix the line and I believe that you can fix this offense. Easier said than done.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: A trend carrying over from last year..... - Bilbo Saggins - 08-17-2019, 05:34 AM