Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players To Resign or not and all things 2020 Season.
(08-26-2019, 02:17 PM)kevin Wrote: Reds need to dump the highest paid Red on team.  If they can get a team to pick up the majority of the Joey Votto contract,  small market Cincy has to do it.   Jack McKean would dump that big contract and he would be right.  Just as McKean said if he had stayed in Cincy he would have never added the Griffey Jr highest paid Red contact at the time.  

So Reds can be loyal to Votto and spend a lot of payroll on him.  Or they can try to shop him off asking little to nothing in trade return just to dump payroll. Freeing up money is needed to put a winning team together.  

The Reds need a less expensive first baseman and the guy could easily beat out Votto numbers last 2 years.

People ask what was missing from 2019 Reds.  I'm in Reds Fantasy Leagues and nobody wants Votto.   Reds Fantasy Leagues and nobody wants him.  They want other Reds, but not him.  I've picked him up out of free agency a few times, but always had to throw him back. Last year was the same story.

Maybe Peraza and Iglasias up the middle. Suarez at 3rd.   Aquino is in Right.   Senzel, Van Meter, Winker in OF .   This Ervin looked awful Sunday in CF, but he gets on base.  Give the dude a 1st basemans mitt and have him practice it in off season.  I saw Stargell & Dunn and other OF of not great D make the move to 1st.  Ervin won't be a Gold Glove, but would put up good bat numbers for much less pay than Votto.   There are others they can put at first also such as Farmer.

Votto is the highest paid Red that needs to go if a team picks up most of his contract.

For sure 1B and LF are killing us in run production, especially 1B.

But there's two giant hurdles to get over in trading JV. 

1. I'm sure JV has a no trade clause, so he has to agree to it.
2. 25 million a year for 4 more years.

I'm not saying it's impossible I never figured they'd be able to unload Bailey but they did. Votto will turn 36 in a couple weeks. Who's going to pay an aging, slow, clearly in decline 1Bman at a rate of the 6th highest paid position player in MLB ?

If you exclude his 2014 62 game season his career slugging is near .550 the last two years it's about .414 averaging 12 HR's and about 50 RBI's

I'm no where close to a MLB contract/trade expert. But I'd venture to say the only way they're gonna move him (if he agrees, big IF) is to agree to pay a giant chunk of that salary.

You hear about it in football but I don't really recall it much in baseball. But is a contract renegotiation possible ? JV agreeing to a pay cut ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Players To Resign or not and all things 2020 Season. - bengalfan74 - 08-26-2019, 04:27 PM