Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
we were a top 5 offense last season before eifert went down
(08-31-2019, 09:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's a decent chance that atleast some of the coaches are downgrades to Marvin and Co.

Taylor seems to be copying the Rams playbook on offense...except we don't have their line and players. We'll see how that works out.

He was a bad OC at UC. He was the assistant WR coach, then QB Coach with the Rams. He was mediocre with the Dolphins. Yet people are so sure he's a much better coach than Marvin.

We see it here EVERY year. Irrational optimism.

I think ZT is a good choice to move the Bengals into the modern NFL while Marvin was just a comfortable relic from a bygone era.  I do think we are buying in so early on the guy that he's going to have some growing pains and learn on the job.  Sooooo he can be better than Marvin but I'm not entirely sold on the notion that our prime-time, playoff, and Steelers-related woes all went out the door with ol' Marv.

An issue with this coaching staff isn't ZT but the fact that unlike other young offensive HCs he doesn't have high profile coaches watching the defense for him, or the o-line and so on.  It wouldn't floor me if we spend the off-season after the 2019 season lamenting how (insert coach here) was so bad that no one could have succeeded.  Zampese, Lazor, Marvin, Paul Alexander (ok, hard to argue this one), and Haslett have all been cited as "season-killingly bad" coaches...hard to believe we don't have one of those kinds on the coaching staff right now.

Callahan, Turner and especially Sweet Lou are all candidates for being scapegoats if 2019 goes belly up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: we were a top 5 offense last season before eifert went down - Nately120 - 08-31-2019, 09:57 PM