Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
56 hours of our playlist for September 6th, 7th and 8th
Here are some of my personal favorites from the playlist

Post #1 Friday night
4:00 - 8:00 pm EST
Pandemonium - Look Of Death - Alaskan band moved to LA and got signed to Metal Blade. They opened for the Scorpions in 1984 and this was one of the first songs that I heard at the first concert that I was allowed to go to by myself. They were good but the Scorpions were stellar. Obvious attempt to piggy back Looks That Kill by Motley Crue.

8:00 - Midnight EST
The Music Explosion - Let Yourself Go - Ohio 1960s legends. Only put out one album but it had the all-time classic "Little Bit O'Soul". Four  18 year old kids and a 20 year old drummer. A little sloppy at times and a little raw but it's a great reflection of mid 60s American Rock.

10:00 - 2:00 am EST
Blind Guardian - To France - German Power Metal band does a mostly acoustic cover of the 1984 Mike Oldfield song. Picked this up in Germany just before the 1998 World Cup in France so there's a little emotional attachemnt to it. Tons of melody.

11:00 - 3:00 am EST
Queensryche - NM156 - Probably my favorite Queensryche tune. Pretty wild that this came out just before Terminator. The lyric theme would have fit great with that movie.
The Cadillacs - Speedoo - I do loves me some jammin' 50s tunes, normally no matter the style of music. I've always liked faster paced, up-tempo songs. It's probably why I gravitated to Thrash Metal so much.

Post #2 Saturday morning
1:00 - 5:00 am EST
Tony Carey - Fine Fine Day - Former Rainbow keyboardist 2nd solo album. Only song I've heard with two different chorus breaks. Carey doesn't have the greatest voice, but he always wrote great vocal melodies. That's one thing about writing that I tell every young band and I mention The Beatles, Little River Band and Tony Carey as examples.

7:00 am - 11:00 am EST
Geordie - Fire Queen - Brian Johnson's early/mid 70's band before he joined AC/DC. There are a few gems in their stuff but there's a lot of odd entries in their catalog also. Followed by . . .
AC/DC - Bad Boy Boogie

9:00 - 1:00 pm EST
The Castaways - Liar, Liar - I always loved this tune and never knew who sang it. I heard it during a prominent scene in Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels and always loved that part of the movie because of that song. One day, I bought 3,800 45 rpm records and found several that had the same "Classic Collection" logo. All of the other song titles I recognized so I set them all aside for recordings. Placed the one that I didn't recognize on first and there it was, great day.

11:00 - 3:00 EST
Hobo Jim - Iditarod Trail Song - If you love Country and Americana, you'll love Hobo Jim. Like I said earlier, vocal melodies are the key and he has tons of them. This song was off of his first album and he played this at our school when it came out. A few weeks later he was playing it on Good Morning America. This is a 45 rpm recording from a record that was in a donation box of mostly crap albums

Post #3 Saturday Afternoon
3:00 - 7:00 EST
Cry Of Love - Bad Thing - One of the greatest Rock albums that no one knows about. Cry Of Love's debut album Brother has no weak spots, no filler. The singer Kelly Holland, R.I.P., left the band right after the tour and the next album went nowhere. Guitarist Audley Freed has played with Cheryl Crow for years and also was in a band with Joan Osbourne and other stars. Phenomenal feel with his playing. Very smooth.

4:00 - 8:00 EST
Tad Morose - Mother Shipton's Words - Swedish Metal band but they're not Thrash at all. Lots of mid tempo and some up tempo songs but no ragers. Modus ViVendi is a masterpiece. More or less fell off the Earth after their singer left. Urban Breed(yes that's his name) was a good one, it took them a decade to replace him.

Forbidden - Follow Me - Another Thrash band where the vocalist doesn't leave you needing a lyric sheet. Closing track off of their classic debut. The second wave a Bay Area Thrash was amazing. Death Angel, Testament, Heathen, Vio-Lence, Mordred, Sadus, Blind Illusion, Laaz Rocket and Forbidden were all regulars on our road trips to go fishing. It's Forbidden's "F" on the LPFM part of our station's sign.

9:00 - 1:00 am EST
Steve Martin And The Toot Uncommons - King Tut - A Wild And Crazy Guy, my first record. My parents went left, where the 45 rpms were, I went right, where the full LPs were. They were still looking from #1 to #2 to #3 . . . I went straight to the M's found Dean Martin, looked behind it "Found it!" - "No, son, let's get this one over he-" - "Nope. This is it. I'm already in line, let's go! Come on, Dad. Let's get out of here."- That last line always sold my Dad. He loved buying shit but he HATED shopping for anything.
Def Leppard - No, No, No - My favorite Def Leppard track off of High N Dry which happens to be my favorite Hard Rock album of all-time. That's why the L on our LPFM sign is shaped the way it is. P for Priest, F for Forbidden and M for Metal Church.

Post #4 Sunday Morning
Midnight - 4:00 am EST
Headstone Epitaph - Children Of The Sun - My cousin's Power Metal/Traditional Metal band from Germany. Off of their third album, Power Games. In 1994 he sent me his demo and two Blind Guardian CDs and began telling me about Metal supposedly making a comeback. I laughed at first . . . from 1997 through 2006, my already very large music collection doubled and 90% of it was all European Metal bands, much of it are bands that have a song or two in our rotation.

6:00 - 10:00 am EST
Sonata Arctica - Shy - Tony Kakko is one of the best vocalists I've ever heard in my life. The fast Thrash/Power Metal songs are all great, but ballads like this one are what sets him apart from the rest. You take your top 5 power ballads from the 80s, I'll take 5 from this guy and we'll go to to toe. Again, back to the same mantra, vocal melodies, vocal melodies, vocal melodies. The tail end of this hour has another good Tad Morose song.
Goo Goo Dolls - Iris - Probably my favorite "Behind The Music" episode was about the Goo Goo Dolls. I tell all young bands to look that up. Part of it was explaining the origins of this song, it wasn't a love song, it was about his bouts with Writer's Block. He changed a few words to make it sound like a love song but if you read it, it's about everything that he wrote, he absolutely hated it. "I don't want the world to see me, because I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am". He turned a problem into a hit.
Stone Fury - I Hate To Sleep Alone - Lenny Wolf's band before he formed Kingdom Come. The debut, Burns Like A Star, is a great 1984 Hard Rock/Heavy Metal record with all nine songs in the playlist. The second was overproduced crap that sounded nothing like the debut.

11:00 - 3:00 pm EST
A couple of intended back to back tracks starts with two ex-Sabbath singers who were always a little catty with each other
Ozzy Osbourne - Over The Mountain
Dio - Straight Through The Heart
Then. at the end of the hour, I put in Lee Dorsey and Devo . . . the Devo song is a Lee Dorsey song
Lee Dorsey - Ya Ya
Devo - Workin' In A Coal Mine

Post #5 Sunday afternoon
2:00 - 6:00 pm
Primal Fear - Tears Of Rage - Did I mention power ballads? Another good one with another great vocalist. Ralf Scheepers was in the running for the Judas Priest job but they chose Ripper Owens instead because Ralf sounds TOO MUCH like Rob Halford and they only wanted a singer that could sing the old stuff. They didn't want people saying that they were looking for a Rob Halford clone because they can't survive without his voice.
Motorhead - Rock N Roll - My favorite Motorhead song. Title track off of their 1987 album. Great solos.

5:00 - 9:00 EST
Jerry Reed - West Bound And Down / Texas Bound And Flyin' - A little different lyrics from East Bound And Down and I tied it in with the theme from Smokey And The Bandit II. I also threw in front of the music some dialog from the movie that was on the album.

7:00 - 11:00 EST
Therion - The King
Accept - Stand Tight - Back to back tracks by Accept but the Therion version of The King is beautiful. I normally don't like Metal covers more than the original but this might be one. This is a good mellow tune.

36 Crazyfists - Bloodwork - Another band with local roots, Mick the bassist does a few buffers and song intros on the station. Probably the heaviest sounding band on my station, they're still recording and touring. If you know their music, they're great at what they do as a live act. If you don't know their tunes, it's a wall of noise. This tune is off of A Snow Capped Romance, which is a nod to Alaska.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 56 hours of our playlist for September 6th, 7th and 8th - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 09-03-2019, 02:13 AM