Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will our run defense look like this year?
Under Marvin our run defense was poor more often than not. The Jets and Texans torched us in the playoffs. If we could just play good, fundamental run defense those were very winnable games. We got torched and under performed based on our talent level in my opinion. Marv never has been good with linebackers in Cincy, but I'm wondering if the scheme was the problem.

I saw glimpses from our first unit this preseason where they just shut down the run game. I liked what I saw against the Giants with our starting defense out there. Yeah, they passed the ball on us a little bit, but we didn't give up anything in the run game.

This is the biggest area on defense where there is potential to improve. If we can take the opponent's run game out of the equation-making our opponents one dimensional--I like our odds a lot more. Keeps our opponent in longer down and distance and puts more pressure on their pass offense to make plays (while taking pressure off our pass rush and defensive backfield.

So my question is, what do we all expect our run defense to look like this year?

With only 4 linebackers, will we see more 5 - 2 - 4 fronts on running downs? 4 - 2 - 5 with an exta safety in the box?

I love the versatility and freshness of this new scheme on defense. I like how nobody really knows what to expect yet either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
What will our run defense look like this year? - Bengalstripes9 - 09-04-2019, 10:31 AM