Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump
(09-23-2019, 09:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is this a time where we don't care about finding out the truth?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bidens-ukraine-know-dont-know-185409553.html

Isn't this pretty much the same as Obama green lighting an investigation into Trump during the 2016 election? I get that one is using our agency and another is using a foreign agency but isn't the bottom line of seeking truth the same?

In before the peanut galley: I really haven't spent much time on this and there may be huge differences; I'm simply asking instead of defending.

Well, you've mentioned the major difference, which is obvious. But there are also many other differences. The other major one is that Trump's requests are out in the public and he is using his diplomatic authority to affect the political process. Obama specifically kept mum on the Trump investigation because of the refusal by McConnell and other Republicans to come out about it in a bipartisan way. Not wanting to tip the scales, Obama refused to make mention of it. Trump is doing this specifically to influence the election.

It should be noted here that the phone call in question was made the day after Mueller testified. It was fairly clear to Trump that there would not be any real consequences for the contacts his campaign team made with Russia in 2016, and now the day after that testimony he is reaching out for political help to a different foreign country. It may be coincidental in the timing, but there seems to be a trend.

Another big difference is that Obama ok'd an investigation based on findings from our intelligence community. The investigation into Biden is based on a conspiracy theory that doesn't make much sense and can be discredited fairly easily given that the prosecutor that was fired had world leaders from many countries demanding his head and Biden didn't have control over the resources Trump is claiming were threatened to be withheld.

Edit: This is also just explaining things, not trying to be snarky or anything. I've been listening to and reading some things on this all throughout the day.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Whistle-Blower’s Complaint Is Said to Involve Multiple Acts by Trump - Belsnickel - 09-23-2019, 09:16 PM