Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players as Future Head Coaches
Every week Jay Morrison of The Athletic does a lockerroom survey. Last week's question was which other player do you see as a head coach

It is an interesting question as a thoughtful answer provides an insight into who the players and coaches think about leadership, communication, football IQ of their teammates.

Zac eliminated QBs in his response because he said that was a no brainer. He chose Gio because of how he sees the game and CJ Uzomah because of personality. Gio, btw, said nope. CJ said yep

The most named player was Alex Erickson due to his football smarts. That makes sense since he has to play smarter because he lacks the huge athletic ability of other receivers.

The next player named most often was Shawn Williams...every person spoke to him being a disciplinarian.

The most surprising answer from several, including Jim Turner (though Trey Hopkins was his first choice) was Bobby Hart with his intelligence being his strongest quality. Naming OL is not unusual, they are often considered most football smart players but I was surprised they named Bobby maybe because that football IQ doesn't always seem to translate to his play.

In my opinion, Chris Crocker is the most likely candidate among former players. If he wants it, Andrew Whitworth could make it at the NFL level.

I always thought that now former Bengals Adam Jones and Vontez Burfict would make good position coaches due solely to their football IQ and player communication. Though their known personal issues would get in the way of them being hired.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Players as Future Head Coaches - pally - 09-24-2019, 04:38 PM
RE: Players as Future Head Coaches - jason - 09-24-2019, 06:18 PM
RE: Players as Future Head Coaches - pally - 09-24-2019, 06:41 PM