Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rugby World Cup
(09-30-2019, 12:46 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Ok there's blocking still find it boring; look I have tried watching it just found it confusing and boring. Still have a tremendous respect for the athlete's of the sport but it doesn't interest me. Hope you enjoy the world Cup though I am jealous that Rugby has one and Football really doesn't it.

Yeah, it's definitely confusing and if you don't know what's going on it's going to get boring. That's something else it has in common with football - I usually have this conversation the other way around, trying to explain to people who don't understand football how great it is once you understand the tactics!

As for World Cups - they are awesome. I was discussing this the other day in the context of women soccer stars selling so many jerseys. The US has so few events which bring the whole country together rooting behind the same team. The big set pieces in the US are things like Super Bowl, World Series, March Madness, NBA Finals. Everyone has different teams and whilst it may unite a city it doesn't unite a country - outside of maybe Olympics (mainly individual sports - the Miracle on Ice and the Dream Team being two notable exceptions) and Women's Soccer World Cup.

Rugby has done a terrific job of growing the sport from including Italy in the 5 Nations, Argentina in the Tri-Nations to having Japan host the World Cup and they've been rewarded with Japan beating Ireland, Uruguay beating Fiji. The NFL is trying to go down that path with the London Series, games in Mexico but it's going to be a long time until they get rugby's global reach as a participant sport (as a spectator sport they are further advanced).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rugby World Cup - SunsetBengal - 09-27-2019, 09:50 AM
RE: Rugby World Cup - J24 - 09-27-2019, 11:34 AM
RE: Rugby World Cup - J24 - 09-27-2019, 06:57 PM
RE: Rugby World Cup - J24 - 09-30-2019, 12:46 PM
RE: Rugby World Cup - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 09-30-2019, 04:08 PM