Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of "Surge" When Run Blocking
In my research over lunch on effective offensive line play I found this interesting excerpt from an article online.  It was written last week.

+++

"The biggest thing that I am not seeing from the Cincinnati Bengals' offensive line in 2019 comes down to the aspect of “surge.” When the Bengals are running the ball, you want to see the entire offensive line pushing the other team down the field. If your offensive line has a positive surge, the line of scrimmage is being pushed a few yards downfield. If the offensive line is not getting any surge, then pretty much where the ball was snapped is where the offense and defense are colliding and staying. If it’s the defensive line who is getting the surge, the offensive line is being driven back. Obviously, especially when running the ball, getting surge is a key component to success.

"The reason surge is so important is that while the offensive line is supposed to open holes for the running back, if those holes are occurring down field there’s just an overall greater net gain in rushing. Even if a running back is being tackled at first contact, if the contact is occurring two or three yards downfield due to the line driving back the defense, it’s still a decent run.

"When combining the concept of surge with the eye test when watching the Bengals' offensive line, they are not getting the job done. On running plays, they are pretty much locking up at the line of scrimmage and not pushing their opponents down field. I don’t know if it’s blocking scheme or not winning individual matchups, but it’s just not happening."

+++

Now where did I find this delectable and accurate quote?  I got it from one of the Pittsburgh Steelers' news sites and I changed "Pittsburgh Steelers" to "Cincinnati Bengals" every time I found it in the article.  That's right!  The Steelers have gotten away from their former offensive line coach Mike Munchak's concept of "surge."  The Bengals have the same issue but the Bengals haven't had a "surge" style offensive line for ten years.  This explains the lack of holes, gaps, creases, seams, or daylight for Joe Mixon or Giovani Bernard to exploit.  Instead, they are flattened at first contact.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Lack of "Surge" When Run Blocking - Fan_in_Kettering - 10-15-2019, 02:16 PM