Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Glenn at odds with Bengals over concussion
(10-19-2019, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Everyone should read this over and over again.  I am not trying to say that the Bengals management have any such capabilities, but everyone on here would gladly accept what the Astros went through to get what they are now.

It is clear that it won't be Dalton, and likely not Green.  A part of me will always hurt over 2015.  That team was so much fun...in the beginning.  But they tried to take shortcuts.  Guys that were not reliable like Burfict and Adam Jones.  Incredible talents that always seemed to implode at the wrong moments.  I love Geno and Carlos, but I don't remember ever thinking that they were at their best in the biggest games.  The roster will have to turn over and I am not sure how many of the current coaches will survive.  I am sure they will give ZT every chance.  The odd choice at DC and offensive line coach, perhaps not so much.

However, if they start now with building the team from the trenches.  Get your offensive and defensive lines shored up in the next two drafts.  Combine that with some serious FAs at the LB, Safety, and perhaps offensive line positions and you can have a team that will be very competitive to surround a new, young QB.  I know everyone will throw the slow start of Dewayne Haskins at me, but that Justin Fields kid has incredible size, strength, arm, and mobility.  I want our next QB to be one that has wheels.  It seems much harder to build a tremendous offensive line (Only Oakland, Dallas, and New England have one) that it is to have a QB that makes defenses change their plan with their mobility:  Russell, Mahomees, Watson, Wentz, Murray are all this type of QB.  I would love to see Fields here in two years as he has the size and strength, but also outstanding mobility.  

And if the team addresses the lines BEFORE the skill positions this time, I think the likes of Boyd, Tate, Ross, etc. will show much more than they have already and whatever young QB gets the nod will also be in a much better position to be successful.  

Seriously though, that whole "build the line before you get the QB" is so antiquated, i get a subdural hematoma every time i read it. That thinking went out the window as soon as FA started. You can do both or get the QB first, just as easy these days. 

You are right. It is harder to replace 5 guys as opposed to 1 guy. It's also harder to accumulate 5 good offensive linemen and then pay them all within 5 years. That's why you get the QB, then build around him--as you said, a mobile QB. One that has wheels is a plus. That QB can last a decade+ and he will fit under the cap easier than multiple offensive linemen. 

If i never see that '70s thinking around here again...it will be too soon. 

Just to stay on topic, the Bengals have a potential franchise LT, they have a guy playing well (though declining every week--hopefully he picks up this week) at center. They have a bunch of guys to compete for other positions and they have some good draft positions coming up. And then there's a couple offensive linemen out there in free agency. 

They really do have the ability to fix the line in 1 season. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Glenn at odds with Bengals over concussion - rfaulk34 - 10-19-2019, 11:21 AM