Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bengals Switched Scouting Practices in 2015
(11-05-2019, 09:52 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: If I was investing $20m in an asset I'd want to do both, particularly when Zac is preaching so much about character. It's probably not so much the game performance you miss out on but the networking and the additional insights that can give.

If I was setting up a scouting system I'd look to recruit three very different types of scouts. One type of scout would be tape grinders who watch video all day dissecting technique, another would be data analysts who crunch numbers and design statistical models and the third would be networkers who would always be out on the road talking to people. Three very different skill-sets, offering three different perspectives.

Like I said, for years scouts have gone to campuses and for years teams have completely misjudged their intangibles.  You can run through a laundry list of 1st round picks in the pre "only tape" era that had every team in the league on campus checking into them and they turned out to be complete busts from a character/work ethic/ etc. stand point. 

All teams go to the major pro days and you can do your onsite "investigating" then versus in season because you are going to get the same dog and pony show as you would mid season. This article was just referencing the scouts specifically during season.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Bengals Switched Scouting Practices in 2015 - Au165 - 11-05-2019, 09:55 AM