Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bengals Switched Scouting Practices in 2015
(11-05-2019, 09:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, that's not really true. Every team misses and many with much larger scouting departments then ours miss worse. As I said showing up in person tends to just get scouts the dog and pony show. They like to think they see through it but they really don't. The Patriots literally drafted a guy who murdered people and the red flags looking back while in college were EVERYWHERE. 

I know/am acquaintances with two scouts through a hobby of mine and one will tell you it's a big deal to show up and the other will tell you it means little to nothing. The one who thinks it's a big deal is an older guy who also isn't big into analytics and is "old school". The younger of the two is the one who insists it's all a show when they are there so he hates going out. He does say he shows up for QB's though because of QB's having to be able to command the respect of his teammates. Either way both will tell you it comes down to the tape in the end and the people who are watching the tape.

So be it. If tape is the key, wouldn’t you want more tape watchers to maximize the chances of landing more talent. For a team that relies almost solely on the draft, having a tiny scouting department seems moronic. Scouts are relatively cheap, but then again, it’s Mike Brown we speak of.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Bengals Switched Scouting Practices in 2015 - t3r3e3 - 11-05-2019, 09:58 AM