Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Most feared U.S. WWI weapon
My grandfather was gassed in WWI and lived through it. He has breathing problems his whole life from it, but still managed to live to 72 and died right before I was born. He was one tough old bastard from everything I've ever heard about him. He became an iron worker after the war and my dad talked about watching his old man carry a girder up a ladder and walk along a thin girder 150 feet up with one on his shoulder. Even up into his 60s he hung out in Jacks bar in Dayton and even back in his days Jacks was known as a rough bar. He always carried his linesman's pliers into the bar and pick fights with guys much bigger. I've only seen one picture of him wearing his fedora. Man, he looked every bit the criminal type, but he was never arrested for anything. I guess back in his day you pretty much had to kill someone to get arrested for brawling in bars. I can't even remember the last good barroom brawl I saw. it's been awhile. I do remember a couple big fat broads brawling in Oney's on Wyoming Street one morning. They made me spill my beer and the bartender gave me a fresh one for my troubles.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Most feared U.S. WWI weapon - Bengalzona - 11-24-2019, 01:07 AM
RE: Most feared U.S. WWI weapon - grampahol - 12-09-2019, 02:30 AM