Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What About a “Bridge” Quarterback in 2020?
(11-26-2019, 09:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So was Pat Mahomes. Some had their doubts about those guys, and that's why they slipped out of the top 10.

It's all speculation, but I'm looking at the fact that the consensus top QB prospect (at the time) was off the board. If he'd been there, it's hard to see the 49ers needing a QB that badly and passing, but maybe they would've?

Money was probably too simple a way to put it. I was talking specifically about cheapness in free agency. Mike isn't tight with his own players, but he isn't willing to spend the extra dollars he'd need to, to attract an external free agent. When we can't/won't use free agency to address a problem, that puts undue pressure on the draft as the sole source of solving roster issues.

We've failed a lot in the draft lately. A problem that gets magnified when we rely on it so extensively. Then (to add to your point about "where" we spend), we give silly contracts to guys like Gio and Hart, and refuse to cut dead weight like Cordy Glenn. We could easily afford to slightly overpay some actual good players...instead we're overpaying scrubs or guys we barely use.

It seems we carry some dead weight or dumb contracts every year. That's a huge problem, IMO, and it doesn't get talked about enough as a reason why we struggle.

Gaah

I know it is incredibly frustrating.  The draft, the turds acquired in FA (although at first, most seemed happy with the Glenn trade), and lack of production/utilization from a player like Gio.

If they want ANY people in the stands next year (and maybe they don't?  Maybe they do want to move the team?) they will have to nail the draft, and make some significant signings in FA.  Not a  single overpaid individual like OBJ, but a bunch of solid players in that 2nd tier.  

Now that Dalton is starting I can see them blowing the first overall pick, but maybe that is what I want deep down is that they get #2 overall and Miami takes Burrow leaving Chase Young to the Bengals?  My hope has been the Bengals would be #1 overall and trade a slot with Miami for one of their other 3 first round picks and get Young plus another first rounder.  They will likely blow that...

Young or Burrow, I won't be upset.  I just hope the team on the field looks much different than it does now.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What About a “Bridge” Quarterback in 2020? - SHRacerX - 11-27-2019, 09:38 AM