Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How timing affects the perception of a coach
I am not saying I have seen anything to make me feel good about Taylor. But I also understand that he stepped into an absolute shit storm. The roster was a mess BEFORE we lost Green, Glenn, Boling, Williams, and Ross. A team that lived by the draft was getting almost zero production from 4 of its last 5 first round picks. They couldn't get any decent assistant coaches for his staff. The front office did not sign any decent free agents. He had no chance.

Would other coaches have tried different schemes or even gimmicks to try and spark the team? Maybe. The first time we played Pittsburgh the Steelers offense had been struggling. Against us they used Jaylen Samuels out of all different formations and he tore us up. He rushed for 26 yards and a td, completed 3 passes for 31 yards, and caught 8 passes for 57 yards.

But back to my point about timing. Look at the career of Marvin Lewis. If he had been fired after the '10 meltdown and the new coach had ran off five straight playoff appearances Lewis would have been a bum and the new guy a genius. But if Lewis had been fired after the '15 meltdown and the new guy(s) went 19-39-1 then Marvin would have been viewed in a much better light.

I believe Taylor will get another year to show us what he has. Although I have not seen anything impressive from him I think it is unfair to judge him based on what he stepped into.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
How timing affects the perception of a coach - fredtoast - 11-27-2019, 01:05 PM