Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How timing affects the perception of a coach
(11-28-2019, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I don't think it is absurd at all to think that Marvin Lewis was just as good of a coach for a 4 win team in '10 as he was for a playoff team both the year before and the year after.  I don't think coaches' (not just Lewis's) records fluctuate wildly because they are constantly forgetting and then remembering how to be a good coach.

So a head coach has a static value no matter what their record is? If that were true, why would coaches ever be replaced? Why isn't Jeff Fisher or John Fox a HC currently? Both have decent records. Is it the collective opinion of 32 owners that both have forgotten how to coach properly? 

Back to my point: How has Zac Taylor earned anything aside from a goose egg? What has he done at any point in his coaching career to convince anyone that he could replicate any of Lewis's seasons? The number of players who have regressed this year under ZT seem to far outnumber the players like Hopkins who appear to be getting better. That doesn't really scream "potential with a better roster" to me. 

Side topic on the Bills: the 22 FA this year was an experiment. They don't usually go out and make such aggressive moves(maybe Mario Williams a while back would qualify, but he was just one guy). It was an interesting strategy and it seems to have paid off. They now have a line that looks halfway competent, a reliable slot weapon to throw to in Beasley, and a deep defense that could handle losing some of its older stalwarts. I think that the lesson here is that they got their QB in place, got their system in place, went out and were aggressive dumpster divers, and it seems to have worked. Josh Allen looks competent now that he has some help. This might be the new "trade down like the Pats" strategy: Go out and get a ton of cheap vets. Keep the ones you like and blend in some youth. Everyone on the roster knows that it's sink or swim. The coaches know that they aren't stuck with anyone.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How timing affects the perception of a coach - Bilbo Saggins - 12-01-2019, 01:26 PM