Poll: Was Vietnam 'winable'?
Yes
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vietnam: Was it 'winable'?
If there were ever a time to strike at the heart of the communist spread it would have been immediately after WW2 against Moscow, but...At the time Moscow was largely seen as our ally to defeat Germany and the Russians probably already we well on their way to acquiring nuclear weapons anyway. The world was mostly worn out by the end of that war with little to no appetite for more was much less nuclear war. Even then, had they done it there would have been no way to contain the rest of Russia and China. I think we were pretty lucky to have contained communism at all much less defeat it on a war footing. It was our economic power and close alliances with Europe that saved us all. Otherwise we'd have all been screwed..or dead. I can't even imagine our current government thinking that far ahead strategically as they did in WWII and immediately afterwards.. If we were in the same situation today I don't think we'd stand a chance and we still stand a chance of screwing the pooch before it's all said and done.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Vietnam: Was it 'winable'? - Bengalzona - 12-21-2019, 01:53 AM
RE: Vietnam: Was it 'winable'? - fredtoast - 12-23-2019, 11:47 AM
RE: Vietnam: Was it 'winable'? - sandwedge - 12-24-2019, 01:53 PM
RE: Vietnam: Was it 'winable'? - grampahol - 12-28-2019, 04:38 PM
RE: Vietnam: Was it 'winable'? - Synric - 12-28-2019, 05:29 PM
RE: Vietnam: Was it 'winable'? - grampahol - 12-31-2019, 02:21 AM
RE: Vietnam: Was it 'winable'? - grampahol - 01-15-2020, 03:31 AM