Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FX's A Christmas Carol
Not sure if anyone even knows this exists, but it played on 12/19. It's three TV hours long with short breaks so it's pretty long, and in my opinion, pretty bad. So far. I haven't even finished it yet.

We have a fatalistic, philosophical, sociologist in Scrooge. He have background stories including an absurd one with Marley. In the two hours I've watched so far, they may have used five sentences from the book because apparently someone out there fancies himself better with words than Dickens. I wonder if this brave new writer ever read the book because you marvel at his use of words, and the phrasing his characters use in conversation. In the book Bell's dialogue when she's ending things with Scrooge always leaves me wishing we all spoke like that, but I don't think many of us could come up with those words on the spot. Or when Scrooge tells Marley he doesn't believe in him. Marley could have said, "Well you see me don't you?" Instead he says, ""What evidence would you have of my reality beyond that of your senses?" You can hear and see me. If those don't count what do you use to verify someone's existence?

That's the writing that this write felt he could improve on. I've got an idea. If you are so damned creative, instead of piggybacking on someone else's story, write one of your own and we will see how it's doing 170 years from now.

Yes I'm a bit of a purist. I've read the book many times. Since I got Kindle I read it in an ongoing manner. A chapter here, a chapter there and start over when I'm finished. But I will watch and prefer the colorized version of the Alistair Sim one so I'm not too inflexible.

I will say the scenery and the depiction of London was very nice.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
FX's A Christmas Carol - michaelsean - 12-23-2019, 05:46 PM
RE: FX's A Christmas Carol - XenoMorph - 12-23-2019, 07:14 PM
RE: FX's A Christmas Carol - michaelsean - 12-23-2019, 08:03 PM
RE: FX's A Christmas Carol - fredtoast - 12-24-2019, 06:21 PM
RE: FX's A Christmas Carol - BrownAssClown - 12-24-2019, 09:57 PM
RE: FX's A Christmas Carol - michaelsean - 12-24-2019, 10:46 PM
RE: FX's A Christmas Carol - BengalHawk62 - 12-24-2019, 11:07 PM