Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raymond Chandler
I read pretty many books. A lot f historical fiction by average authors, and some modern day serials like Alex Delaware, Virgil Flowers, Jack Reacher, and Ben Hope. The guys who write these are fine authors, but the chasm between them and the really good writers is huge. The way of using words is night and day.

Every once in a while I leave my usual and try some classics. I went with Chandler. I read the first and now I’m reading Farewell My Lovely.

“I could have driven about in those curving twisting streets for hours without making any more yardage than an angleworm in a bait can.”

After being knocked out:

“I straightened up and wobbled a little. I felt like an amputated leg.”

Who think of this stuff? These books are loaded with these kinds of similes and metaphors. The story is almost secondary to the writing. The same thing happens when I read Dickens. You think, how do they come up with phrasing the way they do?

I will say that the racial epithets used, even by the protagonist, are a little shocking.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Raymond Chandler - michaelsean - 01-20-2020, 09:05 PM
RE: Raymond Chandler - fredtoast - 01-21-2020, 02:23 PM
RE: Raymond Chandler - michaelsean - 01-22-2020, 10:53 AM
RE: Raymond Chandler - michaelsean - 03-11-2020, 01:14 PM