Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds close to signing Castellanos
(01-27-2020, 09:58 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I actually think this contract is great.

It has an opt out for Nick after 2020 and after 2021. That means that if he just rakes, he can become a free agent again.

That is a little concerning, as it kind of makes this 4 year deal more tenuous, but I do like that it allows us to naturally progress Aquino and Winker. If Nick is amazing, it gives those two time to develop and can replace him if he leaves.

If he does well but not incredible (he'd need a career year to get more money in free agency, I imagine), then we get him for the full 4 years.

Obviously, there is a risk that he is just terrible and we're stuck with him for 4 years, but with his 27 through 31 age seasons under contract, I see this as a relatively low risk.

Overall, fantastic addition. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the logjam at OF this year and potentially next year.

I'd like to see them try Senzel at SS. He tried it a few years ago and they didn't stick him there, so that may be a bad sign, but that was before David Bell was manager. If Moose is good enough for 2B, I have a hard time believing Senzel isn't cut out for SS.

I've seen the rumors of trading Senzel for a Seager or Lindor type SS, but I don't really see something that big happening. I suspect this offense is relatively close to what it will be on opening day (I think we're still looking for relief pitchers, however.)

This team has the ability and talent to win the division easily.
Very well put. This may very well only be a 1 or 2 year deal. If it is, it means that he had a great year. If he has a year similar to last year, I think he will just play a second year here to see if he can top the year for a new contract. Either way, it seems like a good deal for both sides. I would rather have seen a straight 4 year deal but at least he’s here for this year and a run at the playoffs. I would be absolutely shocked if they trade for a SS. They may trade one of the extra OFers for relief help.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reds close to signing Castellanos - Circleville Guy - 01-27-2020, 10:32 PM