Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deep Cuts: Who's your guy/Who's not your guy?
Players I find myself consistently drafting in simulators in the 3rd through 5th rounds:

Lucas Niang OT TCU in the 3rd round.
He is moving up boards and may not be available in the 3rd round, but if he's there, he has all the potential in the world to be a starting RT within a year.

Troy Dye LB Oregon in the 3rd round.
I really like Dye's coverage ability. He's a bit undersized and may be more like an oversized safety, but he could get better against the run. If he falls to the 4th, even better.

Tyler Johnson WR Minnesota in the 4th round.
He's quick, has good hands, has good size (6'2" 205lb), can go up and get the ball and has good footwork. He was productive in the big 10 with back to back 1000+ seasons and shows effort in blocking. It's, quite frankly, absurd that a player this good would be available in the 4th round, but that's just how deep this WR class is.

Jonah Jackson, OG OSU in the 5th round.
Do I think Jackson ultimately lasts until the 5th round? No. His Senior Bowl performance was impressive and PFF is already projecting him as one of the best guards in the draft. I don't know why he lasts this long in mock draft simulators, but Todd McShay and Mel Kiper don't have him as highly rated as PFF does so maybe he's one of the draft's best kept secrets, I dunno.

Amik Robertson CB Louisiana Tech anywhere between the 3rd and 5th round.
He's undersized but...that's about it. From what I've read, he is everything else you want in a CB.

Players I really don't like:
Austin Jackson in the 2nd and Prince Tega Wanogho in the 3rd, for the samereason. Lack of functional strength (call it Ogbuehi syndrome).

Jalen Reagor in the 2nd. Droppy WRs in the 2nd round are a no go for me.

Malik Harrison and Jordyn Brooks in the 3rd round. Both profile as 2 down linebackers. We really need coverage linebackers or at least linebackers good enough to stay in on 3rd down. I don't think either of these guys help us there.

Of course, if any of these players drop another round or two, I am more open to drafting them.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Deep Cuts: Who's your guy/Who's not your guy? - CJD - 02-17-2020, 10:12 PM
The pick that'll make you wince - BenZoo2 - 02-09-2020, 01:58 PM