Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals planning to part ways with Cordy Glenn
(02-29-2020, 01:03 PM)Earendil Wrote: I think the problems on defense the last two years were layered.  You had poor schemes from the coaches combined with terrible linebacker play. That let QBs dump the ball off to an uncovered receiver in the middle of the field before the DL could get to him.  The schemes made the secondary look like garbage because you had corners who were better in press coverage playing 10 yards off the receiver.

The weak play of Preston Brown showed a lot of addition by subtraction, and Pratt looked better and better as the season wore on.  The CBs and safeties never seemed to be in position and never seemed to make plays on the ball.  The guy coming off the bench was their interception leader in INTs per game played by a mile.  I agree that a lack of pass rush is a huge part of the problem and some of that came from, as you said, easy checkdowns out of the backfield and to TEs.  A huge issue with Brown. 

I hope the Bengals don't get too comfortable with the defense from the slight surge at the end of the year...they were playing better, but not good defense.  And, they were doing it against a lot of teams with a lot of issues.  I hope they get a playmaker at 3-4 hybrid end or another presence on the other side to spell Dunlap.  They definitely need more pass rush.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals planning to part ways with Cordy Glenn - SHRacerX - 03-01-2020, 11:29 AM