Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aquino Needs to Really Impress in Spring Training
(03-02-2020, 10:13 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I've only watched 4 or 5 of Aquino's AB's but all of the ones I've seen have just looked bad. He swings at way to many pitches out of the zone. He's a sucker for the low and outside pitch and I don't mean just barely off the plate he swings at stuff he couldn't hit with a boat oar ! And teams know it.

I've still got hope for him but he has to learn to quit swinging at that low outside pitch. I'd say he's gonna start in minors unless he really brings it on.

Yea, he looks a lot like he did in September.

What I think is happening: He changed his stance shortly before coming up to the majors. So the major league pitchers, who were already unfamiliar with him because all there is to go on is minor league scouting reports, had an additional wrinkle to consider when pitching to him.

He took advantage of their unfamiliarity, paired with an insanely hot streak to break a bunch of HR records to start a career.

Roughly a month into his career, pitchers got updated scouting on him and realized he'll swing at basically anything down and away.

So they never went anywhere else. And that's how his September happened.

And it is continuing into this year as well.

We'll see if he can recover and play better, but it's starting to look more and more like August was the illusion and September is closer to the reality.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aquino Needs to Really Impress in Spring Training - CJD - 03-03-2020, 08:42 AM