Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton
Another factor: If teams spend to the cap, it could be hard to trade Dalton during the season. The prospective team would have to make some cuts or trade players with a big salary.

New England would be a possibility with Thuney's franchise tag. There might be a few other teams. Maybe a team with a lot more cap space after their rookie QB struggles.

If Dalton's market continues to flatline, maybe they keep him for the comp pick? It's hard to envision us having much cap space next year for Free Agency. We'll struggle to retain our own. Maybe a good comp pick is worth hanging on to him.

All in all, it's hard to say what the best option will be. Mike Brown has had a good batting average in this situation though. How he pulled off that Carson Palmer trade was nothing short of miraculous.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they just cut Dalton. But hey--like I said--it might not be a bad option to hang onto him and hope for a trade down the road.

I don't blame the Bengals for Dalton's low stock right now though. Yeah, you can blame them for not protecting him (letting Whit and Zeitler walk). But overall, they did a good job for most of his career setting him up for success. I don't blame the Bengals for not being able to find a trade at this point. His market is what it is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton - Bengalstripes9 - 03-22-2020, 08:58 PM