Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly tying
(04-26-2020, 08:26 PM)bengaloo Wrote: You wont regret giving it a shot! Lots of reasons to love fly fishing. When I was younger I liked how it involved it was right away. That I was moving, working a stream from bank to bank for long stretches of stream. Sticking my casts and drifing my flies. There was never a dull moment, even if that mean me pulling my fly out of the tree behind me lol. But it wasnt sitting there in a lawn chair looking at a bobber with a worm for hours and waiting for it to sink (which can be fun with booze and a guitar lol). What fly fishing does though, is over time it gives you a good reason to really get in tune with the experience. You'll learn to read water and current like you never did before, just by the nature of it. You'll learn about the real natural foods trout eat, and how that can change from season to season, and how to match that with your flies. That can be taken very far or just novice far and its fun either way. It can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.  When I teach, everyone says they want to cast like Brad Pitt on River Runs Through It lol. And thats fine they can learn that with practice, but it is not required to catch fish or be a fly fishermen and have fun! Some of the best fly fisherman I know arent the best casters, but they can catch fish like crazy.

My favorite thing about fly fishing, is that over the years it has taken me all over the country to some of the most beautiful places I could dream up, that I would've never seen otherwise. It is relaxing, its calming, its fulfilling and we all could use more of that in this day and age. You can really find your center out there. I would say that it has literally helped me be a more confident and calm person in life. So its personal for me, but I started young and really put my life in it lol. These days its more weekend warrior, but it doesnt matter even 2 hours on the stream is refreshing and relaxing.

I totally get what you're saying.  However, most of the streams that we fish are small, and difficult to even get the fly to cast effectively.  Don't get me wrong, there are a few rivers that we fish where I could effectively fly cast.  I just need to dedicate the time to learning the art.  When I'm worm fishing for trout, I'm active, in the stream, and frequently moving as well.  No bobbers for me.  I like to drag the holes in the bends, fish the ripples, etc.  It's fun catching my limit of average size trout by lunch time, but it's time to move up to getting the trophy looking ones.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Fly tying - Belsnickel - 03-28-2020, 03:45 PM
RE: Fly tying - sandwedge - 03-31-2020, 11:36 AM
RE: Fly tying - bengaloo - 04-26-2020, 04:59 PM
RE: Fly tying - SunsetBengal - 04-26-2020, 05:36 PM
RE: Fly tying - bengaloo - 04-26-2020, 08:26 PM
RE: Fly tying - SunsetBengal - 04-26-2020, 08:33 PM
RE: Fly tying - bengaloo - 04-26-2020, 08:46 PM