Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill WIthers dies at 81
I got into his music recently, like 2017 or so. I heard Lovely Day at the end of a show I was watching on FX called Snowfall. The show was okay, but from the first time I heard that song, to the time I looked it up on Amazon music, to yesterday when his death prompted me to listen to it again, I feel like it's one of the most perfect songs I've ever heard.

I typically listen to the same music I've listened to since I was 15 or so with a few exceptions. This assortment is comprised mostly of punk, thrash metal, and lately (but steadily) a good dose of classic rock. Withers was one of the exceptions.

I can't really say why. It always just amazed me that something from a genre that I rarely ever listened to could just grab me like that and open my eyes. I've had a few other songs do that and I recall exactly where I was when I heard them. Black Hole Sun was one. Raining Blood another. The entire Crowd-Mags album Age of Quarrel was a big one. Not to Touch the Earth by the Doors. Somehow, though, Lovely Day gets in there with all of those songs for me. It was one that I knew I'd listen to consistently for as long as I'm alive.

I liked Withers even more when I read about his life and him walking away in what was probably the prime of his career. He just sounded like a hard-working dude with a real gift and ease about his craft.

RIP.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Bill WIthers dies at 81 - jfkbengals - 04-03-2020, 11:30 AM
RE: Bill WIthers dies at 81 - SunsetBengal - 04-03-2020, 11:43 AM
RE: Bill WIthers dies at 81 - jason - 04-03-2020, 02:04 PM
RE: Bill WIthers dies at 81 - samhain - 04-04-2020, 05:29 PM
RE: Bill WIthers dies at 81 - jason - 04-04-2020, 10:35 PM
RE: Bill WIthers dies at 81 - samhain - 04-05-2020, 12:17 AM
RE: Bill WIthers dies at 81 - bengalfan74 - 04-04-2020, 08:03 PM