Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bob McGinn evaluations of our drafted players
Oh, there's also apparently an overview article he wrote before the series (maybe the Athletic asked him to do the whole series after this article's success or something?)

And there's some more snippets that I think people may like:
Quote:Joe Burrow, LSU (6-3 1/2, 221): He threw for a record 60 touchdowns after firing just 16 touchdown passes in 2018, his first season at LSU after three of backup duty at Ohio State. “The one-year wonder does worry you a little bit but he’s put so much good stuff on tape,” one scout said. “His last four or five games, that’s as good as any quarterback has played in a long time. Now, he had a great supporting cast. I get that. But, man, he was dialing it up. Just average physical tools. He’s not going to amaze you with his arm strength. He’s a good athlete but he’s not a great athlete. He’s not impressive, but it all came together. You love the makeup. He’s a coach’s son, and his understated swagger kind of as opposed to the overstated swagger of Baker (Mayfield).” He dominated voting for the Heisman Trophy and elected not to run or throw at the combine. “The interesting thing about him, when you look at his face, he reminds me of Peyton Manning,” another scout said. “You look into his eyes and see the determination. He’s a much better athlete than Manning. He can run, too. I estimated 4.7 (seconds in the 40). Peyton was more of a statue. The arm strength is about the same … and being resourceful and making excellent decisions. The composure, the confidence, the mental toughness. He’s special.”

Quote:Tee Higgins, Clemson (6-3 1/2, 216): He elected not to work at the combine but did test Thursday at Clemson’s pro day. “He’s got great size, he’s exceptionally athletic, his ball skills are top-notch and he’s a really good route runner,” said one scout. He caught 135 passes, averaged 18.1 yards per catch and had 27 touchdown receptions. “He wasn’t the best receiver at Clemson,” another scout said. “The sophomore, Justyn Ross, was. When they needed a big play, they went to Ross. Physical receiver, excellent strength, body control and hands. I question his top speed and explosion. Reminds me of Mike Williams, who San Diego drafted in the first round (in 2017). He’s more of a strong, possession-type guy than a top speed guy. I’d estimate he’s 4.55.”

Also, I think this may interest some people who are concerned about Higgins (or who may have preferred Mims).
Quote:Denzel Mims, Baylor (6-3, 207): A three-year starter with 28 touchdowns. “I would have thought no way in the world just watching him on tape and now he’s top 50,” one scout said. “He’s a big guy and ran fast. You see he’s got savvy, hands, good route runner. Kind of a limited route tree at Baylor. Just kind of a catch-and-get-tackled guy. You didn’t see the deep speed.” Had a big week at the Senior Bowl, especially in the red zone, and then ran 4.38 seconds in the 40. His arms measured 33 7/8 inches. “He has strength and hands but I don’t think he’s anything special,” another scout said. “In the Big 12 Championship Game, Parnell Motley (of Oklahoma) totally shut him down and he’s a late-round pick. He’s a guy that makes the possession catches.”

So these reports are pretty negative about a lot of players hahaha.

https://theathletic.com/1665631/2020/03/17/mcginn-scouts-size-up-their-top-prospects-on-offense/
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bob McGinn evaluations of our drafted players - CJD - 04-29-2020, 10:53 PM