Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bob McGinn evaluations of our drafted players
(04-29-2020, 10:43 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think the notable bit is that he was still the top rated WR on the board according to the rankings and his draft range is right where we took him

If he was legitimately unable to get separation, no way they'd collectively rank him as a fringe first round prospect. As with many draft profiles, you need to find some weaknesses, even if they're minor or exaggerated in the report. 

When I watch him on film I see him separating pretty consistently, as well as running away from CBs and safeties. His workout numbers are a shame and he could stand to be a little more athletic (who couldn't? ) but he's got #1 WR talent. I'm not sure he'll ever be a super star all pro type, but he could easily be a 1000 yard receiver in the NFL. And how much more can you ask from a 2nd round pick? 

I just love that he'll be paired up with the best back shoulder thrower in college last year and will learn from his idol, Green. 

When I was talking myself out of him before the draft, I was using the physicality of Okudah punishing him off the LOS at Ohio State.  That, his forty time, and his lack of an even decent vertical.  

When I started talking myself in to him was when I realized he had been in the National Championship game against Alabama, and won in 2018.  He had 3 receptions for 81 yards and a TD as a true Sophomore.  That is the other thing:  He is just 21 years old.  What you said about his back shoulder ability is my final thought as well:  He tracks the deep ball as well as anyone I have ever seen.  That isn't as easy as it sounds.  Someone with a bouncy gait, whether fast or not, has trouble focusing on the ball as their eyes are bounding up and down as it approaches.  Higgins may not be a burner, but he is smooth and he has sure hands.  

I think if Higgins had not been in the Championship game the past two seasons, or the playoff for that matter, he could have had time to rest, heal, train, and have a much better combine/pro day.  

When I think of what he can do here, I think a lot of AJ drawing safeties to his side of the field and Higgins having a lot of big plays down the field.  Contested or not, I think there aren't many CBs that are going to beat him on balls in the air.  

And, he is a Bengals fan.   Cool
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bob McGinn evaluations of our drafted players - SHRacerX - 04-30-2020, 09:04 AM