Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where the Bengals Have Already Failed Joe Burrow
(05-03-2020, 01:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m not arguing that it was a good signing. I’m just arguing against the team didn’t do anything. They did something, it just might not be good.

I think a lot of people forget what they have done since this time last year:  

Brought in Fred Johnson
Brought in Isiah Prince
Fred Johnson started week 17 at LT against the Browns and graded out very well.  He will provide significant competition at RT in 2020.  Hart, unlike in previous years, will not be handed the job as Williams takes over at LT.  

Depth and competition at OT.

Benched Billy Price, started Trey Hopkins at Center.  That's right.  A first round pick sat in favor of an UDFA. 
Extended Hopkins after proving he was a solid choice at Center.

Started Fourth-rounder Michael Jordan at LG after Clint Boling retired.  Struggled early and was injured, returned to be the best lineman on the field down the stretch.  No small feat given the revolving door at LT until Johnson played the final game. 

Released John Miller
Signed G Xavier Sua-Filo.  XSF was signed to a very affordable three-year contract to start at RG.  Bigger, longer, stronger than Miller, and quicker off the snap.  I am not a big fan of him based on the limited information available, but I like that the Bengals moved on from Miller and tried to improve the position. 

Drafted Akeem Adneiji.  Only allowed five pressures all year as a LT at Kansas.  Has guard potential.  Very strong, and with surprising athleticism.  Had a ridiculous 34" vertical.  That's three inches higher than Tee Higgins jumped.  He also had a long jump of 115".  That's insane for a man of that size.  Pass protection is his strength, with all his experience at OT, but I think he might be our RG of the future.  The winner of Hart and Johnson will play RT.

That's not "doing nothing" for the line.  They literally addressed every single position on the line since this time last year (except they had already drafted Williams).  

Compared to the starting lineup of last year's week 1:

LT 2019:  Andre Smith....
LT 2020:  Jonah Williams

LG 2019:  Rookie Michael Jordan
LG 2020:  Michael Jordan, who finished the last four games as the highest ranked player on the line

C 2019:  Trey Hopkins
C 2020:  Trey Hopkins

RG 2019:  John Miller
RG 2020:  Xavier Sua-Filo/Akeem Adeniji

RT 2019:  Bobby Hart
RT 2020:  Bobby Hart/Fred Johnson competition winner. 

And, Jason Peters is still out there.  Looks like Philly is likely to get him back, but I would sure look at him as one-year starter at LT and move Williams to RT, where he has played before.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where the Bengals Have Already Failed Joe Burrow - SHRacerX - 05-03-2020, 02:44 PM