Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Salary Cap After Dalton cut
(05-04-2020, 12:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: TY

But can we all agree we now have extra money we can spend right now.

How would you spend it? If you think it is 15 million, how would you spend it? If you think it is more, same question.

It is obvious different sites use different methods for the cap, otherwise they would all have the same exact numbers.

I use Spotrac. I have found using this has been accurate as team like the Ravens who it says have no money always seem to find money and sign guys with no cap money????

My question is realistically how much more are the Bengals willing to spend? If any? They are some significant number under the cap but have spent a bunch of money on signing bonuses and I assume those are paid within a small amount of time of signing. The actual expenditures for this season as I understand it is currently 63 million in signing bonuses + 125 million in salaries + 22 million in other bonuses for around 210 million if I am looking at it correctly and then practice squad etc etc. Feel free to correct me on this if I am looking at it wrong.

The reason I bring this up is with AJ and Jackson since their salaries are already high and for this season an extension doesn't effect this years budget but a Mixon extension almost assuredly would have a significant signing bonus (my guess is somewhere around 8M) which would have to be part of this seasons budget as I understand it.

I wouldn't extend AJ for a myriad of reasons. Health, age, etc etc. Also, the 2019 draft was WR loaded and dulled the free agent WR market quite a bit in my opinion for that position. Early big boards have another loaded wide receiver class as 15 of the top 95 on it are wideouts including a bunch more outside the top 100 which could further allow for some value in the free agent market.

For Mixon, I am thinking 8M signing bonus and 3 years/18M to make his cap number 8M for the next 3 seasons. He basically gets 3/26 in this scenario. They can cut Gio also and save a lot of space. I honestly don't think Mixon would go for that but given his lack of leverage he might.

Jackson III is the toughest one for me. Cincinnati didn't draft a cornerback. His production dropped way off last season but 2 of the 3 seasons he turned in was good. Maybe he isn't a fit for the new staff I don't know. I have no idea what an extension would encompass. Spotrac has 3/18M as his comp but no way is he doing that in my opinion. That Waynes' contract makes it a tougher negotiation also. With the overall defense trending to be better on the other levels, it should help the cornerbacks also so maybe he has a bounce back season.

I wouldn't mind extending Tupua to a cheaper deal as a solid rotational piece. He actually graded as the 26th best interior player last season in 465 snaps and has improved a lot. His value is muted by being a solid run stuffer only for the most part so he wouldn't cost a ton but there is value in that. Maybe add a couple of seasons around 3 to 3.5M to help solidify the defensive line moving forward.

Lawson may want more than he is worth given his ability vs health and actual production. I would wait and see on him honestly.

As far as outside free agents, there isn't a ton there that moves the needle. Wouldn't mind bringing a few veterans on minimum contract non guaranteed to add some competition in a few spots. As examples Matt Moore, Ty Montgomery
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
2020 Salary Cap After Dalton cut - Luvnit2 - 05-03-2020, 11:02 PM
RE: 2020 Salary Cap After Dalton cut - SErebel11 - 05-04-2020, 07:09 PM