Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former MLB Groundskeeper claims Pete Rose corked bats.
(05-10-2020, 11:57 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I agree that he wasn’t a top 25 player of all time. I don’t consider him to be a typical singles hitter. He had over a 1000 extra base hits or around 25% of his hits. He wasn’t close to a power hitter but wasn’t an Ozzie Smith type hitter either. Johnny Bench was obviously the best player that the Reds ever had. Tom Seaver and Frank Robinson were pretty damn good too. Pete’s long term consistency was absolutely amazing. His versatility at being an All Star at 5 different positions will never be matched. His hits title would fall before that does. I’ve never seen a list ranking the best players regardless of position though everyone knows who number 1 was.

After I wrote what I did, Robinson IMMEDIATELY popped into my mind and I thought about editing my post, but didn't lol.

Don't get me wrong; he wasn't a slouch and did win a batting title or two (or three? Think it was 3), but aside from OF and (surprisingly, for his skillset) 2B, he was nothing more than average at any position; versatility, absolutely.

In terms of popularity, there are few players that could garner as much as him (at least, during the playing days), but I just always compare him to the man he surpassed in hits, as their hitting numbers are more in-line with each other, than say Barry Bonds or even Rickey Henderson.

Cobb just absolutely blows him out of the water and was much more prolific in every category (save homers), even in the deadball era.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Former MLB Groundskeeper claims Pete Rose corked bats. - Truck_1_0_1_ - 05-11-2020, 04:19 PM