Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former MLB Groundskeeper claims Pete Rose corked bats.
(05-12-2020, 08:44 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Here’s a few stats for Pete 200 hits 10x’s, All Star 17x’s, Rookie of the year, 3 batting titles, 44 game hitting streak, 20+ game hitting streak 7x’s, WS mvp, league mvp top 10 10x’s, top 5 5x’s, mvp in 73. On base just shy of 6000 times. Highest modern day fielding percentage in RF and highest modern day fielding percentage in the NL at LF. He was way better than average.

Average defensively Wink

(05-12-2020, 03:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Truck I've gotta disagree with you here ol buddy.

Was Pete Rose a great athlete ? No Was he a great baseball player ? Yes

I don't know if you're old enough to have seen Rose play in his heyday in the late 60's 70's ? But the guy went 110% on every play no matter the situation ! Johnny Bench described Rose in an interview something like this "Pete would run through a fire in a suit soaked in gasoline to play baseball". Was Pete gonna win a sprinting, jumping, swimming, etc. competition ? No

But you had your hands full playing him if you were on the other team. He had excellent hand/eye coordination and quickness, reaction time.

Rose had 170 hits as a rookie, led the league in hits 7X, he had over 200 hits in 10 seasons, 13 seasons in a row he had 185 hits+ ! He played in 150+ games in 17 seasons. He played in 148+ games 16 seasons in a row.

Here's the awards on wiki:

Peter Edward Rose (born April 14, 1941), also known by his nickname "Charlie Hustle", is an American former professional baseball player and manager. Rose played in Major League Baseball (MLB) from 1963 to 1986, and managed the Cincinnati Reds from 1984 to 1989.

Rose was a switch hitter and is the all-time MLB leader in hits (4,256), games played (3,562), at-bats (14,053), singles (3,215), and outs (10,328).[1] He won three World Series rings, three batting titles, one Most Valuable Player Award, two Gold Gloves, and the Rookie of the Year Award, and also made 17 All-Star appearances at an unequaled five positions (second baseman, left fielder, right fielder, third baseman, and first baseman). Rose won both of his Gold Gloves when he was an outfielder, in 1969 and 1970.

One could go on and on. Again Rose was not a great athlete, but he was a great, GREAT baseball player.

Indeed he was and he more than deserves the HOF.

I was merely responding to Mike/Harley's post about him being the greatest ever.

Even with the accolades, etc., he still isn't top 25, arguable on top 50.

Plainly put, if I'm fielding a 25-man roster (I know they are now 26) or even a 40-man September roster of all-time players, Rose wouldn't be on either of them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Former MLB Groundskeeper claims Pete Rose corked bats. - Truck_1_0_1_ - 05-12-2020, 03:43 PM