Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parallels between Burrow and Andrew Luck in Year 1
This is a really interesting article that I draw a lot of comparisons from for Burrow in Year 1.

The Colts were coming off a 2-14 season, and Luck was going to be handed the reigns immediately. They had a highly suspect offensive line (that was most of the guy's career). They also had a so-so rushing attack. They had one star receiver in Reggie Wayne, and a young speedster in TY Hilton. They had a suspect defense.

Then how on earth did they go 11-5? The answer? Andrew Luck. He had really good mobility for a big man, and he was also very adept at Arians' vertical passing attack. He led the NFL with the highest average depth of pass attempt. Where he really shined, though, was in the clutch. He had seven game winning drives that year to tie the league lead.

Looking at that Colt's team and the current Bengal's roster, I see greater potential in the Bengals rushing attack. The article goes on to highlight the massive increase in completion % for Luck when operating out of a play-action scenario, but that is difficult to utilize if you have a struggling rushing attack. The Colt's ground game was somewhat inflated by Luck's 255 yards and 5 TDs on the ground.

I also like the offensive line better for Burrow (I know, that seems hard to believe) but luck was sacked 41 times his rookie season, despite having the good mobility and strength.

The defense in Cincinnati this coming year is a wildcard. We know the Colt's defense was awful that season, and the Bengals have made a lot of additions and had what we hope will be a quality draft.

I think the overall theme of the article on Luck's end-of-game heroics and how his play elevated the play of a fairly suspect team will be very similar to what we see out of Burrow. However, I think the surrounding cast is much better for Burrow than Luck had his rookie season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1477009-ignore-the-raw-numbers-andrew-luck-had-a-great-rookie-season
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Parallels between Burrow and Andrew Luck in Year 1 - SHRacerX - 05-06-2020, 11:00 AM