Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals on (essentially) one-year deals
(05-07-2020, 03:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is typically the argument of salary cap vs no cap.
If you don't have a cap, you would have certain big market teams always buying up most of the good FA talent.
You could implement something like the NBA has, which is a (super) max for an individual player, but that still doesn't solve every problem.
You could remove the ability of FA completely, but IMO that's very unfair to the players.

An idea though I just thought of would be that there could be just a cap for external FA players. Teams could have an unlimited spending for players who have been with them their whole careers or players who have been released/traded.

Even the Super Max has come back to haunt the NBA. Teams and players alike have actually tried to distance themselves from it because of how badly it hamstrings a team an the ability of movement for the player.

I don't know if there's really a good way to fix any of this. It feels like the NFL, for the most part, has always got a new team or two in the playoffs and the year to year success of teams fluctuates more than any other league. 

Plus the willingness of owners to spend that money on the players. While in theory no cap or a higher cap would be great, there still may be teams who are just unwilling to dole out the money to keep guys when there are much cheaper alternatives in the draft on rookie contracts.

Most of all, some of these players that we want to hold on to might just want to try out the market and see what they're worth. I think all of us can relate to the idea of new scenery and new challenges ( with higher salary, as well. ) I feel like of all the leagues, the NFL has balanced the salary cap and finances the best. 
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals on (essentially) one-year deals - PikesPeakUC - 05-07-2020, 03:54 PM