Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Look at broken tackles from 2019
(05-09-2020, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since we have some talented players on our defense a lot of people don't realize just how epically bad our defense has been these last two seasons.  I challenge anyone to find a worse two year stretch even in the deep darkness of the 1990's.  And our defense has also been very balanced.  We have managed to be shitty at everything.  Sometimes teams gamble with blitzes and give up more big plays but also get more sacks.  Or DBs give up big plays going for interceptions but also get more interceptions.  But just look at where the Bengals defense ranks over the last two years.

32 total yards
32 rushing yards 
32 third down conversions
31 third down conversion %
30 passing yards
29 points
29 sacks
28 rush yards per carry
27 fourth down conversion %
27 rushing yards
27 turnovers
26 passer  rating
24 interceptions

There are multiple different issues that could contribute to bad tackling numbers and we failed on every level.

In addition to being poor, the fact that the offense was so godawful did not help. I have seen a lot of games where we stay in it for 3 quarters and run out of gas because the offense looks like a Chorus Line (1-2-3 kick!).

I would argue that, in fact, it is a total rebuild on defense (5 new starters + Pratt became a starter mid-season last year + Wilson & ADG). We are just starting out with the run D/tackling, and for good reason.

Better run D means longer yardage on 2nd & 3rd downs. Deeper drops. Lower conversion rates. More difficult passes attempted. More sacks. More picks. Hard to generate any of that when the other team is looking at 2nd and 4 all the time.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Look at broken tackles from 2019 - J24 - 05-09-2020, 06:00 PM
RE: Look at broken tackles from 2019 - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 05-09-2020, 02:44 PM