Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oline starters/backups who ya got ?
(05-12-2020, 07:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I guess it depends on how many they keep on the 53. FWIW, there are not 2 extra roster spots. Gameday actives went to 48 from 46, (as long as one is an OL), but that should not impact the 53. 2 guys from the PS can now be part of the active roster for the week, but it cannot be the same 2 guys over and over. A player can be activated and sent back to PS twice without a waiver process, but the third time they do. Plus, PS guys can always get signed by another team.

Anywho, I think they keep 9 on the 53, plus 1-2 on the PS. 10 is not out of the question, though, depending on howmany QBS (2 or 3), LBs (5 or 6), WRs (6 or 7), TEs (3 or 4), CBs (5 or 6), DLs (8 or 10), & RBs (3 or 4) we keep on the 53.

Of the 9, I think 8 are pretty straighforward.

1. Jonah Williams. LT. Lock starter. We think he is a stud LT. Time to find out. If not, he could be a stud RT or G.

2. Trey Hopkins. C. Lock starter. Leader of the OL.

3. Michael Jordan. LG. Lock to make the team. Near lock starter. Only way he doesn't is if at camp he looks like the guy from the start of last season rather than the end.

4. Xavier Su'a-Filo. RG. Team lock,  likely starter. No way he does not make the team. We went and got him for a reason. If Price starts playing like a first rounder, he could start, though I do not think that likely. The loser of the RT competition could also move inside. Johnson was a G in college & Hart knows the offense. His IQ is the best part of his game.

5. Bobby Hart. RT. Team lock. Incumbent RT. Smart guy with limited ability.  Will battle for RT with Johnson, loser could barlttle for RG spot.

6. Fred Johnson. RT/G/LT. Team lock. Him or Hart will start at RT. Loser could challenge at RG also. Johnson played G in college, IIRC.

7. Billy Price. G/C. Near lock to make the team. Outside shot to start at RG. His contract makes it more expensive to cut or trade him than to keep. And he is the only other guy with NFL C experience. Awful & injured last year. Hopefully good health equals better play.

8. Adeniji. G/T. Near lock to make the team. Versatile guy. T at Kansas. G at Senior Bowl. Projected at G. Probably a year away from contributing but I think they like him too much to risk him getting poached off the PS.

That leaves 1 spot left. If we sign a vet OL guy (Warford, Peters, etc) then this spot is theirs. If not, we got 5 guys battling for the last spot (maybe 2) and 1-2 spots on the PS.

Right now, I'd favor Redmond (G) for #9 with Dugas (G) & Prince (OT) on the PS. Knipfel (OT) & Cordasco being SOL.

I think camp will determine the last spot. Redmond makes $2.1 mil and everyone else is south of $700k. We could save $1.4 by releasing him (no dead money). If any of the others are close to his level, I would cut him and save some cap $$ (either rollover or a FA). If we sign a FA OL, Redmond is gone unless we keep 10, no way a PS guy makes $2.1 mil.

Truly an excellent analysis. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oline starters/backups who ya got ? - Geno_Can_Dunk - 05-14-2020, 11:54 PM
RE: Offensiveline - JSR18 - 05-28-2020, 09:46 PM
Offensiveline - Bengalfan4life27c - 05-26-2020, 10:05 AM
RE: Offensiveline - BengalChris - 05-26-2020, 01:23 PM
RE: Offensiveline - pally - 05-26-2020, 01:24 PM
RE: Offensiveline - Joelist - 05-26-2020, 02:45 PM
RE: Offensiveline - bengaloo - 05-26-2020, 03:07 PM
RE: Offensiveline - Geno_Can_Dunk - 05-26-2020, 03:12 PM
RE: Offensiveline - Brownshoe - 05-26-2020, 03:14 PM