Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ?
(05-16-2020, 07:16 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Tee Higgins is WR #3. The Bengals did not sign Ross's option year. Mike brown does not reward underachievers and will not allow him to shine so he can get a huge contract somewhere else. He will be a back up (with limited play) in case someone gets hurt. You'll see.

I would have thought this about the previous regime.  Keep the guy's chances down to sign him for less.  I am not so sure now.  I think these coaches will get every ounce of production they can out of Ross and if he gets a better contract elsewhere after the season (very likely), then the Bengals will get a solid compensatory pick.

The question of "by year's end" makes me think of next year's roster, and I could see it as follows:

AJ Green is extended long-term and will retire a Bengal.  No matter how much many of us don't think this makes good business sense, I think the Bengals really want this to happen.  Maybe a great year with Burrow gives the Bengals a better chance of signing him.

Ross will be gone.

Higgins will take over Ross's #2 position.

Boyd will remain in the slot, although we will likely see Green take more and more snaps from the slot moving forward.   I think Boyd will benefit more than anyone having the outside weapons to draw coverage and free up the middle of the field.  Burrow has great vision for the middle of the field and will attack it at will.  I'm sure a healthy Eifert could have done the same.  But Boyd is going to be the Jefferson for Burrow in this offense.  

Despite all that explosive potential, I am STILL most excited about the RBs becoming more involved in the passing game.  I would say I don't want to get my hopes up, but it is too late for that.  The RBs are probably licking their chops at the potential and it is that high %, low-risk play the offense has been missing for some time.  Heck, the last time I remember using a RB as a receiver that well was Chris Perry in 2005.  He had something like 55 receptions and was a real benefactor of the outside weapons on that offense.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who ends up the "3rd WR" at the end of the season ? - SHRacerX - 05-17-2020, 01:49 PM