Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Let's not sleep on Auden Tate in the WR mix
(06-04-2020, 04:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: Auden Tate was tied for the second lowest catch % on the Bengals last year.  Mind you, that's not just among WR's.  That's among all players that were targeted with passes.  The catch % for the entire team was 60.4%.  Tate's was 50%.  The only player with a worse catch % on the team was Stanley Morgan.

Tate catches passes at a rate over 10% worse than the team as a whole.  You can't blame the QB for a guy who's making catches at a less than average rate compared to his teammates.

The reality if you look at his highlights is that most of these spectacular grabs are back shoulder throws where Tate is smothered by the defender and the QB is forced to throw away from the defender.  They look more spectacular because he likes to jump and rotate in the air rather than break down and use his feet to adjust his body position.  But he's making highlight reel grabs because he can't get the separation to to make routine looking ones.

Yeah, he definitely isn't good at getting separation that is for sure, I would just have to see the passes to know for sure he just
has bad hands as you are pretty much alluding to. Just hope we don't have to rely on him if AJ and Ross go down to injury again.

(06-04-2020, 04:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: I hear he ranks 1st in off-season hype threads among WR's that have caught less than half of their career targets, though.

I am not hyping Tate, just saying he is a big body in the Red Zone that did well in college catching TD's.

Was just hoping for it to translate.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's not sleep on Auden Tate in the WR mix - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-04-2020, 06:11 PM