Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Let's not sleep on Auden Tate in the WR mix
(06-03-2020, 09:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It amazes my how so many Bengal fans act like thye have never seen a WR over 6'4" before.  Everytime some tall scrub shows up in training camp he is immediately a great red zone weapon.  The fact is that big slow guys like Auden Tate are a dime a dozen.  It takes A LOT MORE than just being tall to be an effective WR.

Tate put up numbers last year becasue our WR corps was shredded with injury.  He will barely see the field this year unless we are hit hard with injuries again.

Disagree.  Not necessarily about the tall part, but that you discount his performance as only because of injuries to other players.  That is what gave him his opportunity, and he developed throughout the year.  He only played in 12 games and still managed 575 yards receiving.  The biggest knock on him is that he doesn't generate a ton of separation.  That is what makes what he did all the more impressive given that he wasn't the 3rd option but often the 2nd.  He was really good in contested catches.  So what if he ran a 4.69 in the 40 yard dash?  There was a lot said about how he didn't get the professional training on how to run a 40, and had poor, upright technique at takeoff.  What makes him special is his hands and his catch radius.

He is a poor man's Michael Thomas.  I can see Burrow trusting him with back shoulder throws and slants after letting Ross or Green clear out an area.  

Taylor has already said numerous times how he envisions a rotation of players at different positions to get everyone involved and keep guys fresh.  

Tate will not be sidelined just because other WRs are healthy.  Just like I said about Boyd, he could eat every well underneath with Green and Ross drawing coverage outside.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's not sleep on Auden Tate in the WR mix - SHRacerX - 06-08-2020, 09:04 AM