Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking the AFC North Defenses....and what does it mean for the Bengals?
If you read anything about the offseason on 2020 (outside the Rona), you will likely see a lot of love for the Baltimore Ravens. With good reason. They added Derek Wolfe and Calais Campbell to their already solid defense. They had a solid draft, adding JK Dobbins and some young talent at WR.

That all being said, I can't help but think a great deal of their defenses success were attributed to their amazing offense. Team would fall behind and become one-dimensional. When they got to the playoffs, Tennessee had a design to greatly reduce their offensive output, largely by keeping them off the field. I can't help but think the league will have a few more answers on how to limit them offensively in year two and the back end of their defense is still suspect, especially at LB position.

They signed DJ Fluker for a one-year deal, but did so because of the retirement of one of the best Guards in the league for the past decade, Marshall Yanda. Not much is being said of the Fluker for Yanda swap. It could be a huge difference for their offense.

I like how the Ravens are built and Calais Campbell is a beast, but I can't help but think the steelers (puke) have a better defense heading in to the 2020 season. They were really good last year, despite having one of the worst offenses in the league. They paid a high price for Mincah Fitzpatrick, but he is clearly worth it. Devin Bush is a playmaker, and they have a strong defensive line. If the steelers offense is even just solid in 2020, their defense could be the best in the division.

The Browns are a huge wildcard. It reminds me a lot of the Colts under Manning where they had tons of weapons but only a few top tier players on defense. I honestly have no idea what to expect other than their coaching staff looks to be a massive upgrade over the useless Freddy Kitchen. I would place their defense as tied for third with the Bengals.

If the Bengals offense can be what we all hope with Burrow and a stable of weapons, the Bengals defense could improve dramatically simply by not always being put in bad situations and not being on the field so long. The addition of Reader in the middle, with Von Bell, and Josh Bynes offers THREE significant upgrades right off the bat. The young speedsters at LB should also help and that could pay dividends in terms of allowing the pass rush to get home. If Lawson can stay healthy and Hubbard continues to develop, the pass rush could be improved as well. The back end is a bit of a wild card as I don't know which WJIII we will get and if Waynes and Alexander fit the scheme and produce as well. I will say this: If Reader, Bell, Bynes and the young LBs stay healthy, the back end will be in a MUCH better position to produce.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Ranking the AFC North Defenses....and what does it mean for the Bengals? - SHRacerX - 06-25-2020, 12:21 PM