Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lapham interview with Jim Turner
(06-29-2020, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have not listened to theinterview yet, but it could just be that you can't teach a lot of technique in a couple of weeks of regular season practice.

Remenber when Alexander said he would work on a player's (I think maybe Bodine) poor technique in the offseason?

A "technique" used in a sport is a habit that you do without thinking.  I have never played golf, but I have heard that guys ruin their swing by thinking about too many details of the swing. Changing technique usually requires TONS of repetition because it is actually learning a new habit.

And in the regular season most of the time is spent preparing for the strengths and weaknesses of specific opponenets instead of working on fundamentals of technique.  

Or, since I have not actual heard him yet, he might mean something completely different.

It is always interesting to note how different people can get different messages from the same interview.  But I will probably also hear what I want to hear when I listen to it.

So Turner was clear on why he did it. As others in this thread have said, it was to just see how he plays naturally, not how he plays when he's trying imitate technique. 

I don't doubt that's why he did it, but it seems a dumb idea to me. Great way to get your QB killed. Coaches are supposed to coach, so friggin' coach. You throw a guy out there to play in front of millions of viewers, to protect Andy Dalton's blindside, and you don't coach him.  (full disclosure: I have my doubts about Turner so maybe i'm reading more than I should into this). 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lapham interview with Jim Turner - Geno_Can_Dunk - 06-29-2020, 04:27 PM
RE: Lapham interview with Jim Turner - 3wt - 06-29-2020, 02:54 PM