Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the 4th of July: Dogs and fireworks
(07-04-2020, 02:24 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That's a legitimate thought/question. Hell, half the time I ask myself the same thing?

So is my wife and me. So many animals that need rescued. I think both of our dogs had faced trauma because if either one of us raises our voice, they pretty much sink where they are and they get nervous and depressed. Both are pretty weird but lovable dogs. One of them is laid back and really doesn't get excited too much about anything except when someone knocks on the door. She also gets really nervous in storms and fireworks and willo pee on the floor if we don't watch her. She's probably 15yrs old. The other one goes ape over garden hoses and leaf blowers. And, while out in the mancave this week, I discovered she really has an issue with nail guns. Oh and hugs, she can;t stand when my wife and I give each other a prolonged hug. She get's nervous and thinks we are hurting each other and tries to split us apart. Well, either that or she's just jealous as heck? LOL

Worst part is they will fight. Vet said we need to get rid of one of them but we can't do it. We just keep our eyes on them all the time. They can walk together, sleep next to each other and be great for months. Yet, all the sudden, in an instant, one will attack the other and has gotten pretty bloody a few times. So much so that trips to the vet had to be made. That part there sucks worse than you can imagine.

I've been thinking about getting another dog as mine is now considered a senior due to his size.  At least that is what the vet told me.  I guess larger dogs age faster.  I'd like to have another companion when I have to sadly say goodbye to my dog.  Plus I think he would like having a friend to hang out with when I'm busy and can't give him much attention.

If I do, I think adopting a puppy would work better.  Even though I know puppies are the first adopted from shelters and the older dogs get the short end of the stick.  I just think my dog would adapt to it better having a young dog he could mentor and be a role model to.  I don't know how he would react if I brought an older dog home and I'd hate to adopt one and have them not get along. Since my dog is number one it would suck to bring another home, have them not get along, and have to find a good, safe home for the second dog.  I wouldn't feel comfortable returning the  dog to the shelter.  I've heard that adopted dogs that are returned to a shelter are less likely to get adopted again.  So that is not something I would want to put it through.

My mom has two really small dogs.  I took him over there once and they terrified him getting in his face barking nonstop even though he could have easily put them in their place since he is about 60 lbs larger.  At the same time he will let my young niece and nephew chase him, yell at him as playful kids seem to do, and jump all over him with no problem.   It's like he knows that small kids are not a threat.

He's a gentle giant I suppose. But I do think if anyone tried to harm me he would have something to say about it. I've had people he doesn't know while walking him approach me and he starts barking if they get too close to me. Not in a, "I'm going to bite your face off sort of way," but as a general warning like, "Who the heck are you and why are you getting so close to the person that feeds me?" Once I let him know that the person is okay he just chills out. Works good for Covid social distancing these days I guess. :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: For the 4th of July: Dogs and fireworks - George Cantstandya - 07-04-2020, 04:11 PM