Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andy, Case,Jameis,Josh, Jacoby.
(07-13-2020, 02:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I know there is a (big) place for metrics in sports today.  They can definitely be useful In discussion and debate.  But more often than not I judge players the way I always have, with my eyeballs and a little common sense.

Do these numbers take into account any of the following:  Pressure, Time to throw, WR seperation, Where target ranks in progression, Base Defense, etc?

These numbers can't exist in a vacuum. There's a lot that goes into them when valuing a QB's actual accuray beyond whether a ball is catchable (subjective).  I can almost guarantee that QB's with below average lines throw more "uncatchable" balls than they would if they had better protection.

I'd like to see these numbers for all of Andy's previous seasons.  Has he always struggled with this? I doubt it.  Did his skills magically fall of the map at age age 31? Again, I doubt it.

So while these numbers help to paint a picture they tell me something I already knew: Andy's play dropped big time due to a lack of talent around him. He had an awful line, below average weapons in the pass game, and he was paired with a run game that was among the league's worst through his first 8 starts.

I know he stunk. The question is why he stunk. These numbers don't help in trying to figure that out.

Dalton had a protection rate of 82.9% (19th in NFL) with a 69.5% clean pocket completion percentage (29th in NFL) and 26.2% pressured completion percentage (32nd in NFL). Dalton had 33 interceptable passes (4th highest in NFL) and 40 "danger plays" (8th in NFL).
https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/andy-dalton/

Bottom line: Dalton didn't have the greatest protection, but he was not good whether he had protection or not. It didn't help that his receivers were not good at getting separation.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andy, Case,Jameis,Josh, Jacoby. - ochocincos - 07-14-2020, 04:30 PM