Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are the 2020 Bengals the 2019 Titans?
Before you laugh, look at some of the similarities:

In 2019, the Titans were coming off their second consecutive 9-7 season with Marcus Mariotta as QB. Coach Mike Vrabel was in his second year as head coach of the Titans. After six games, they benched Marcus Mariotta in favor of Ryan Tannehill. The Titans had a 2-4 record at that time and, despite a promising 2016 for Mariotta, they knew he wasn't going to take them to the promise land.

Tannehill took the team on a 9-3 run before ultimately losing 24-35 to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Chiefs.

Now, we all know that team rode the back of Derrick Henry to the playoffs, and ultimately, to the AFC Championship game. On offense, outside of Henry, they had a big-play threat in AJ Brown and ascending talent, Corey Davis. There wasn't much of a secret, though, as they were going to come out and pound you with Henry.

Of course, you all are thinking that the comparison should stop right there as the Titans probably had one of the best offensive lines in the game last year. Not so much:

From PFF.com:

"8. TENNESSEE TITANS
Ignoring the right guard position, which was a bit of a mess this season, the Titans have had a well-rounded performance from their offensive line. Ben Jones turned in the highest overall grade of his eight-year career at 77.2 (third among qualifying centers), thanks in large part to an 86.8 pass-blocking grade. Jones was one of four centers with 250 or more pass-blocking snaps and a pressure rate allowed of below 2.0%."

This was based on the summary of the 2019 season. While #8 is certainly well ahead of the Bengals last year, note that the Titans were buoyed by excellent center play (something Hopkins had early in the season, but faded as the season wore on...and what was the talent like around him?). They mention that the right guard position was largely a "disaster" for them.

I think the addition of XSF, year 2 for Hopkins and Johnson starting together, and the return of first round pick Jonah Williams will give the Bengals offensive line a tremendous advantage over the unit from the start of 2019. Remember, too, that XSF is a big-bodied, mauler of a RG. That fits much better with our scheme than John Miller from last year.

Speaking of last year, the Bengals DID lead the AFC in rushing the last 8 games of the season (or at least Mixon led all RBs). Considering what players they were fielding on the line, as well as a dearth of talent at WR at times, it is reasonable to have high hopes for what Mixon can do in 2020.

When I look at the rosters from the 2019 Titans and the 2020 Bengals, there are not many places I see the Titans having a significant edge on the Bengals except for the aforementioned offensive line, and I gave plenty of reasons for optimism heading in to this year for the Bengals.

For 2019, the Titans ranked 12th in Total Defense. I don't think it is unrealistic to the the 2020 Bengals could approach that with the additions in FA, as well as the draft. They certainly started to find their stride at the end of last year, much like the rushing attack.

This is what makes me think the Bengals could look a lot like the Titans of last year in 2020.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Are the 2020 Bengals the 2019 Titans? - SHRacerX - 09-02-2020, 04:08 PM