Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We'll Learn a Lot Over 5 Days (First Two Games)
So as everyone probably knows, we open with the Chargers, followed by the Browns. The first game is on Sunday, and the second is just five days later on Thursday.

I thought it might be interesting to have a conversation about these two games, and about how we might feel with differeing results. I think they will be very telling, as far as where we're at.

First up we have the Chargers. This is definitely a winnable game.

1.) It's a home game.
2.) It's against another last place team from 2019 (5-11).
3.) They have new a QB. That QB is a retread, and is a below average starter.
4.) It's a West Coast team (travel goes both ways)

Next up we have the Browns. This is also a winnable game.

We split the series with these guys last year. We beat them by 10 to close out the year. And we lost them to by 8, just a few weeks prior. (We outscore them in the series)

Even in the loss, the the game was competitive throughout. It's not like some of other games where we scored some late, almost meaningless points, to make it look close. It was close.

These guys have a lot of talent, but they're still the Browns. They're also a rivalry game, a division opponent, and far, far from great.

So here's how I would feel depending on how we fare after these games.

2-0

2-0 is a heckuva start. Winnable games or not, this is nothing to sneeze at. For a 2-14 team to match their win total in a 5 day stretch would be fantastic. And to do that with a rookie QB? Awesome.

This is definitely an attainable goal. If we truly believe we've improved our team there is no way not to believe this isn't a strong possiblity.

0-2

This would be an absolute disaster. Two games against two not so great teams, and you come out winless... Not good.

This is unacceptable. Even after only 2 games, any confidence I have left in Zach Talor may be gone. This cannot happen.

No more excuses.

1-1

This is still encouraging. Getting a W by week 1 or 2, instead of week 12, is progress.

I wouldn't be doing cartwheels or anything, but as long as we can win one of these games I will remain cautiously optimistic about being truly competitive this season.

Curious to hear what you all think.

Obviously how we play, and how we look, matters too. Simple record totals don't tell the whole story. But figured this makes for decent discussion. And I think we're past the point of moral victories.

I can't believe after all of this waiting, and all of the debates and bs, and everything else, we're 9 days away from the season. And that once it hit I'll get to Bengals games in 5 days. I can't wait!!!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
We'll Learn a Lot Over 5 Days (First Two Games) - Wes Mantooth - 09-04-2020, 09:58 AM