Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Really Fix This Team
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, or to rehash a debate that's been had numerous times throughout the years. Nor am I starting this thread with the sole intention to dump on the front office or coaching staff.

I want to have an honest to discussion about what really needs to happen to build a winner here. And for me, that answer is as plain as day.

This team needs to bring a legitimate GM next season. Who that person is, I don't know right now. Maybe Ozzie Newsome would be interested in taking on the GM role again somewhere. Maybe reach out to Nick Caserio (Patriots Director of Personnel) or Mike Borgonzi (Chiefs Director of Personnel) and offer them a GM position, which would include a sizeable increase in salary.

If it isn't clear to you now that this setup we have here will never work then I don't know what team you've been watching for the last 30 years.

The Brown family should remove themselves from all football related decisions. And "Yes Men" and "lifers" like Duke Tobin need to hit the road. Duke Tobin can go kick rocks.

Then, we need to invest in our scouting department. We don't have to spend to the league average. Just put us in like the 30th percentile, or like 22nd in the league in scouting budget. We need more than 4 scouts. Maybe stretch that out to at least 10 or 15 guys.

And lastly, the entire coaching staff needs to be blown up. The big 3 (Taylor, Callahan, and Lou) all have absolutely no business being employed at the level they are right now. None of these guys could secure a coordinators job next season if they were to leave. Get them the hell out of here.

And this is where you start....

A real, qualified GM, with a respectable scouting department. Let him hire a competent head coach (Eric Bienemy) and let them build their own staff. Don't force them to keep a Darren Simmons just because he's been here since George W was in office. Let them choose. And give them a legitimate budget to attract the talent they want to bring on board.

Not only does all of the above make the chance of success greater, it also changes the entire culture of the organization. It's a clean slate. It's brings new life into the building, with new goals and new standards.

And maybe when you get done with all of this, you start working on building a practice facility, which you can work into the negotiations with Hamilton County.

I know some people hate to hear this, or they think that because it's unlikely to happen then it's not worth discussing. But that doesn't change the fact that this is what really needs to be done if you want this team to ever truly compete. Nobody is asking for the world here, just pretty much what every other professional team does.

The Browns can't build a winner, Duke Tobin is not a GM, nor is qualified to be a GM. He can't even run a scouting department. And this coaching staff is in so over their heads it's ridiculous.

Blow it all up. Start building something great after the season. We already have Joe Burrow, who looks completely capable of commanding a legitimate contender down the road. It's time we bring in equally capable people to build the team around him.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
How to Really Fix This Team - Wes Mantooth - 09-18-2020, 11:15 AM
RE: How to Really Fix This Team - Big Boss - 09-18-2020, 11:45 AM
How to Really Fix This Team - bjf123 - 09-18-2020, 12:54 PM
RE: How to Really Fix This Team - Nati#1 - 09-18-2020, 01:24 PM
RE: How to Really Fix This Team - Big Boss - 09-18-2020, 01:27 PM
RE: How to Really Fix This Team - higgy100 - 09-18-2020, 02:51 PM
RE: How to Really Fix This Team - Big Boss - 09-18-2020, 02:40 PM
RE: How to Really Fix This Team - Synric - 09-18-2020, 01:31 PM
RE: How to Really Fix This Team - BFritz21 - 09-18-2020, 03:29 PM
RE: How to Really Fix This Team - Big Boss - 09-18-2020, 08:07 PM