Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burrow's Rushing Attempts Are Concerning to Me
There was a play last night, late in the game, where we called a run play for Burrow. This play came immediately after he got hit hard the previous play. (Fwiw, I think the play called was a fake hand-off to Mixon where Burrow ran right. It was in the Red Zone.)

I was left wondering if they're trying to get this dude killed. At this point in the game he already had been hit a ton, and had already carried the ball a few times. After getting rocked the previous play I thought it was extremely odd to call a designed run play to him.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the ability to run. I love the fact that he's not scared to do it, and to make a play out of nothing. I love pretty much everything about Burrow right now. This is not a knock on him at all.

But you're talking about a game where he took 10 hits dropping back (sacks +knocked down). Then you're adding 7 rushing attempts to this. That a lot of contact for our brand new franchise QB to be taking.

As of right now Joe Burrow has rushed the ball 15 times through 2 games. This projects to 120 rushing attempts on the season.

For reference, Gio Bernard now has 2 rushes on the season. His attempts totals the last 4 years are as follows: 53, 56, 105, 91.

Burrow is significantly getting more work running the ball than our #2 back has in years.

Deshaun Watson, is probably considered 2nd to only Lamar Jackson had rushing attempts totals of 82 in '19, and 99 in '18, in his two full years starting.

Here are Cam Newton's rushing totals for full seasons: 126, 127, 111, 103, 132, 90, 139, 101

So, as of right now, Burrow is getting more work in the run game than a Deshaun Watson, and is on pace to resemble a prime Cam Newton.

When you couple this with the fact that he's on pace to be sacked 48 times, and hit another 75 times, this is scary.

I don't really mind if he audibles like he did, or if he pulls up and runs because no one is open. I can't knock this kid's desire to make a play.

What I'm concerned with though is the coaching staff calling designed runs for him after he's been taking a beating. And I hope they really start to consider not doing that unless absolutely necessary. I don't want our franchise QB running the ball 8 times a game in a rebuilding year.

Curious if anyone else knows the play I'm talking about. I could not believe they had him running after taking a big hit on the pass play prior.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Burrow's Rushing Attempts Are Concerning to Me - Wes Mantooth - 09-18-2020, 12:37 PM