Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent 2A news regarding AR pistols
I tried to find an article on this that wasn't from a gun blog, but it's an interesting topic so I'll type it out.

There is a company called Q that produces a firearm called the Honey Badger.

[Image: HB-SBR-LEFT-OPEN.jpg]

Now, if you think this is a rifle, you would be wrong. With a barrel at 7 inches, this would be a short-barreled rifle (SBR) because any rifle with a barrel under 16 inches is classified as such. However, this is not intended to be shoulder mounted. What looks like a stock is a "stabilizing brace" that is designed to strap to your arm to stabilize the weapon so it can be used as a pistol. There has been a lot of back and forth on this and the ATF has never been a fan of these things. There was a time when shouldering it made it an SBR, but holding it as designed was fine. Then the ATF backed off of that. The issue is that while this looks like it is intended to be shouldered, intent is very difficult to prove.

Well, two months ago, Q was sent a cease-and-desist from the ATF regarding this firearm saying that it is an SBR. This has sent shockwaves throughout the firearm community as it is a whole new regulatory position from the agency and they didn't go through any of the typical public input.

Anyway, just some interesting stuff going on. I know not everyone here will know about AR pistols and how that all works. Personally, I'm against the NFA classification of SBRs, but I also think the whole "stabilizing brace" work around was a crock. I think I've seen one used as "intended" one time, ever. Every other time they have been shouldered. As a process guy, though, the ATF pulling this out of their collective asses is a highly concerning situation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Recent 2A news regarding AR pistols - Belsnickel - 10-07-2020, 10:43 AM