Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching Ball in Space, Yards After Catch
(10-20-2020, 04:22 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So, I've noticed something for quite awhile, and really the entirety of Zac Taylor's reign as head coach.  And I'm curious if it's just me, or if others agree and can offer up an explanation.

Our receivers rarely catch the ball in space.  Rarely are they wide open.  And I don't necessarily mean streaking down the field, behind the defense, wide open.  I'm talking about simply catching a ball and having plenty of room to turn around, or to keep running through the route.

It seems, even on the majority of our completions, that defenders are step for step with our guys, and are draped on then almost immediately.  Often times the throwing windows are tight as can be.

Now, some of this can be explained by the offense's design.  I realize Taylor runs a lot of quick throws/routes and shorter passes.  But I really think there's more there than that.

What I'm seeing is our playcalling isn't fooling anyone.  Our routes are blanketed.  Outside of miscomunication (See Mixon's receiving touchdown), I don't see our offensive playcalling exploiting the defense.

I watch a lot of NFL football.  Not as much as some, I don't watch film and I don't go back and watch other games on NFL Network.  But I do watch the 1 o'clock, the 4'clock, and all the Primetime games, and having been doing so for years.  And what I'm seeing strikes me as severe problem

You watch other games, there's plays all the time where a guys got at least 5 yards of space when he catches the ball.  It's pretty routine.  They either exploit a zone, confuse the defenders, run a pick, etc..  Yet I rarely see it with this team.

Am I nuts, or does anyone else see this too?  It almost feels like a miracle sometime when Burrow gets a pass in there, past a defender or two that's all over our guy.  I would hate to see what a really bad, inaccurate QB would like in this scheme.  And it's more than a separation issue too.  Again, I see routes run all the time where the defense is fooled, or they take advantage of the call.

I just don't think this offense, be it the scheme or playcalling (or both), is well designed.  We make 10 yards and in look way more difficult than it needs to be.

Lastly, I don't think I've ever seen a team use the middle of the field less, beyond 10 yards.  It's like they're scared to death of anything beyond that, that isn't down the sideline.

Thoughts???

Well part this year is Burrow.. when we have been in space he has not done a good job getting them the ball.. last week we finally made a couple plays
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Catching Ball in Space, Yards After Catch - Essex Johnson - 10-20-2020, 09:53 PM